Oral Roberts University fired long-time basketball coach Scott Sutton on Monday. On Wednesday, ORU president Billy Wilson and athletic director Mike Carter staged a press conference to help explain their actions.
However, on Thursday, Franchise sources laid out a timeline of Sutton’s dismissal that doesn’t exactly match how ORU claims things unfolded, including a discrepancy as to when ORU informed the basketball team (before or after they informed Sutton) and why they say they couldn’t reach him throughout the day even though he was in his office at the Mabee Center until mid-afternoon.
Here’s what the sources said happened, and when:
- Sunday: Sutton meets with ORU leadership, which offers to let him coach next season and then resign, even though he has two years remaining on his contract. He is never told that if he doesn’t accept their offer, he will be fired.
- Sunday/Monday: Sutton and his attorney discuss the terms of the offer before Sutton goes into work at his office at the Mabee Center.
- Monday 12:45 p.m.: Sutton’s attorney tells ORU’s attorney that Sutton has rejected ORU’s offer.
- Monday 2:45 p.m.: Sutton leaves his office at the Mabee Center.
- Monday afternoon: ORU tries unsuccessfully to call Sutton.
- Monday 4:15 p.m.: ORU leadership informs the basketball team that Sutton has been fired.
- Monday 4:30 p.m.: ORU leadership sends Sutton voicemail & email, informing him he has been terminated.
- Monday 4:57 p.m.: ORU sends press release to news media.
- Monday 5:00 p.m.: Sutton’s wife gets a news alert on her cell phone that her husband has been fired.
Columnist John E. Hoover is co-host of “Further Review with Hoover & Rew” and can be heard every weekday on The Franchise in Tulsa from noon to 3 p.m. with co-host Lauren Rew. In Oklahoma City, catch him Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 10:25 and every Friday afternoon at 4:05. Listen at fm107.7 in OKC, fm107.9/am1270 in Tulsa, on The Franchise app, or click the “Listen” tab on The Franchise home page.