Oklahoma released its depth chart for Sunday’s game against Houston today, and there were a few surprises.
Redshirt freshman Jalen Redmond, who missed last season because of blood clots, is listed as a co-starter with junior college transfer LaRon Stokes at defensive tackle.
Third-year sophomore Ryan Jones and sophomore DaShaun White are listed as co-starters at weakside linebacker, the position vacated when Caleb Kelly was injured in the spring.
Redshirt freshman Nik Bonitto and fourth-year junior Jon-Michael Terry are listed as co-starters at the rush linebacker spot.
Sophomore Brendan Radley-Hiles and fourth-year junior Chanse Sylvie are listed as co-starters at nickel safety.
Junior Robert Barnes, a starter last season, is listed as the backup at both strong safety and free safety.
On offense, all three ballyhooed freshmen wideouts earned a spot in the two-deep. Trejan Bridges and Jadon Haselwood are listed as co-starters with third-year sophomore Charleston Rambo at Z receiver, while Theo Wease is co-backup (with A.D. Miller) to CeeDee Lamb at X receiver.
Other receiver spots are interesting: Sixth-year senior Nick Basquine, fourth-year junior Mykel Jones and redshirt freshman Drake Stoops are all listed as co-starter at slot receiver. At tight end or Y receiver, preseason All-Big 12 pick Grant Calcaterra is listed as co-starter with fifth-year senior Lee Morris.
The starting five offensive linemen remain the same as the spring game: Fourth-year junior Erik Swenson is at left tackle, third-year sophomore Marquis Hayes is at left guard, third-year sophomore Creed Humphrey is at center, third-year sophomore Tyrese Robinson is at right guard, and third-year sophomore Adrian Ealy is at right tackle. Junior Finley Felix is listed as the backup at both tackle spots, while Virginia transfer R.J. Proctor is the backup at left guard and redshirt freshman Brey Walker is the backup at right guard.
Alabama transfer Jalen Hurts was named the starting quarterback last week, and he’s backed up, in order, by redshirt freshman Tanner Mordecai and five-star true freshman Spencer Rattler.
Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks are the co-starters at running back, as expected, but sophomore T.J. Pledger was, for now, able to hold off true freshman Marcus Major and junior college transfer Rhamondre Stevenson for the third running back spot.
In all, 11 true freshman have earned a spot on the depth chart for Week 1: Rattler, Wease, Bridges, Haselwood, tight end Austin Stogner, defensive end Marcus Stripling, defensive tackle Kori Roberson, rush linebacker David Ugwoegbu, nickelback Jeremiah Criddell, cornerback Jaden Davis and strong safety Woodi Washington.
2019 Week 1 Oklahoma Depth Chart
- QB: Jalen Hurts, Tanner Mordecai, Spencer Rattler
- RB: Trey Sermon OR Kennedy Brooks, T.J. Pledger
- FB: Jeremiah Hall, Brayden Willis
- LT: Erik Swenson, Finley Felix
- LG: Marquis Hayes, R.J. Proctor
- C: Creed Humphrey, Ian McIver
- RG: Tyrese Robinson, Brey Walker
- RT: Adrian Ealy, Finley Felix
- WR/X: CeeDee Lamb, A.D. Miller OR Theo Wease
- WR/H: Nick Basquine OR Mykel Jones OR Drake Stoops
- WR/Z: Trejan Bridges OR Jadon Haselwood OR Charleston Rambo
- TE/Y: Grant Calcaterra OR Lee Morris, Austin Stogner
- DE: Ronnie Perkins, Marcus Stripling OR Isaiah Thomas
- NG: Neville Gallimore, Dillon Faamatau OR Marquise Overton
- DT: Jalen Redmond OR LaRon Stokes, Kori Roberson
- MLB: Kenneth Murray, Levi Draper OR Bryan Mead
- WLB: Ryan Jones OR DaShaun White, Brian Asamoah
- OLB: Nik Bonitto OR Jon-Michael Terry, David Ogwuoebu
- NB: Brendan Radley-Hiles OR Chanse Sylvie, Jeremiah Criddell
- CB: Parnell Motley, Jaden Davis OR Miguel Edwards
- SS: Delarrin Turner-Yell, Robert Barnes OR Woodi Washington
- FS: Patrick Fields, Robert Barnes OR Justin Broiles
- CB: Tre Brown, Jordan Parker
Columnist John E. Hoover is co-host of “The Franchise Drive” every weeknight from 6-8 on The Franchise in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, and appears throughout the day on other shows on The Franchise. Listen at fm107.7 in OKC, fm107.9/am1270 in Tulsa, on The Franchise app, or click the “Listen” tab on The Franchise home page. Hoover also covers the Big 12 for Sporting News and Lindy’s magazine and is a feature writer for Sooner Spectator magazine. Visit his personal page at johnehoover.com.