Lincoln Riley met with the media for his regular game week press conference prior to playing in the Red River Showdown:
- Injury update:
- Riley will not rule anyone 100% out for Texas. He says that they will need to see how guys progress throughout the week before knowing.
- Abdul Adams, Steven Parker, and CeeDee Lamb are among those on the list that they are watching for progress.
- Riley says that they have looked at options for another field goal kicker. However, he says he remains confident in Austin Seibert.
- Jeff Badet only had one reception and received limited snaps, and Riley says that is because Marquise Brown was playing better. Mentioned Badet’s two drops as an indicator to why.
- Fans and some media have been suggesting for Mike Stoops’ release after the loss. Lincoln Riley shut down that thought saying that coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball are “not on the table”. Says he has a really good defensive coaching staff.
- Riley says that they always have the conversation about pulling a redshirt on a freshman, but that he hasn’t got to the point to where he has been ready for that yet. (Charleston Rambo/Justin Broiles were mentioned)
- He also mentioned that he thought their pass coverage actually improved. Says they just need to tackle better because most of the yards they are giving up are after the catch.
- Before Riley, Baker Mayfield guaranteed that their locker room will be ready to go on Saturday. He also guaranteed that they will be “back on top at the end”. Did not lack confidence that they will rebound.
- Obo Okoronkwo said that they met as a defense yesterday. He says the performances are on them, and not other teams. The senior also said the schemes have nothing to do with their recent struggles.
- Orlando Brown talked about his conversation with Iowa State Head Coach Matt Campbell. Campbell told him he was the best o-linemen he’s seen.
Oklahoma and Texas will kickoff at 2:30 on Saturday. The game will be televised on ESPN and not ABC. The Kansas State kickoff time will be announced on Sunday.