Power Poll 3/16/17
It’s time for March Madness in basketball, and the start of conference play in baseball. The Big 12 gets underway this week with the top 3 teams playing in conference. The Big 12 has had some quality non-con wins this season to earn a RPI rating of 1 thru the 1st month of the season.
1.Baylor (15-2 RPI 1 SOS 32) I had doubts about the Bears after my first power poll, but since that time the Bears continue to put up wins. Baylor has rolled thru a challenging non-con schedule, and it doesn’t get easier this week opening conference play hosting West Virginia.
2. TCU (12-4 RPI 6 SOS 10) The Frogs have dropped 3 of 4 in California, but considering who they already beat TCU is still number 1 In the top 5 of the polls. The Frogs open conference play against the weakest team in the Big 12, Kansas.
3. Texas Tech (14-4 RPI 7 SOS 39) The story for the Red Raiders is just like the team in front of them in the power poll: a tough non-con schedule. Tech’s schedule is loaded with quality wins: they’re 4-1 vs top 50 RPI teams. The Red Raiders open conference play with the second biggest surprise this season, the Texas Longhorns.
4. Oklahoma St. (11-6 RPI 55 SOS 68) After starting 6-5 ,the Cowboys have righted the ship going 7-2, beating 5 quality teams. Oklahoma St. has another week before starting conference play as the play Northwestern St
5. Texas (13-6 RPI 61 SOS 76) Texas continues to surprise this season. The Longhorns have had a heck of week, sweeping UCLA last weekend and beating Texas A&M midweek. Texas gets a huge test this week hosting Texas Tech.
6. Oklahoma (18-3 RPI 46 SOS 253) Oklahoma is the enigma — 18 wins on the season with only 2 quality wins over LBSU. The last two weeks the Sooners had opportunities to prove itself, but dropped midweek games against Wichita St and Georgia Tech. Sooners continue the road trip this weekend vs Kennesaw St.
7. West Virginia (8-7 RPI 50) The Mountaineers have been up and down this season, and currently on the downside: they’re 3-5 in the last eight. The biggest test so far happens this weekend as WVU travels to Waco to open conference play.
8. Kansas St. (12-5 RPI 101 SOS 116) These last 3 teams put them in a hat, and just rank them how you want. Kansas St has the biggest win of the three on the road at South Carolina, but since then the Wildcats have gone 1-3 over the last week.
9. Kansas (8-8 RPI 159 SOS 182) The Jayhawks come in 9th again this week in the power poll. Kansas has struggled in the non conference season, and Big 12 will not be any easier opening at TCU.
RPI & SOS courtesy of boydsworld.com