Big 12 Tournament Power Poll
The regular season and battle for the one seed came down to the final week of conference play:
- Texas Tech (42-13, 16-8 RPI 3 SOS 24) Coming into the weekend, the Red Raiders needed a sweep against Kansas for the top seed and a share of the regular season conference championship. The weekend ended that way — Tech will be the one seed this week, and more then likely a national seed for the NCAA’s. It will be interesting to see how Tech approaches this week with the national seed a virtual lock.
- TCU (39-14, 16-8 RPI 6 SOS 25) The Frogs had ended the conference season a week earlier against Oklahoma where they lost all-everything 1st baseman Luke Baker for the season. TCU bounced back this week with s 3-1 week, including a 2-1 weekend at California. TCU is very similar to Tech seemingly having a national seed wrapped before the tournament.
- Oklahoma (34-20, 12-11 RPI 26 SOS 54) Going into the Bedlam series the Sooners just needed a series win to more than likely secure a regional host. The weekend didn’t go the Sooners’ way as weather shortened the series to two games — they dropped both . This week OU will need to do some work and get some help to move back into host consideration.
- Texas (34-20, 11-12 RPI 23 SOS 8) The Longhorns could be one of the more dangerous teams in the postseason with the best one-two punch in the rotation behind Tech and TCU. The Horns are another team with a outside chance of hosting with a good week in OKC.
- West Virginia (32-22, 12-12 RPI 19 SOS 11) The Mountaineers had a tough weekend in Austin dropping the series to Texas. WVU is still hoping to get Grove back in the rotation for the postseason. Will it be this week? The Mountaineers are another Big 12 team with a chance at hosting next week.
- Baylor (34-19, 12-12 RPI 20 SOS 20) This weekend the Bears had a rough week against A desperate KSU team that came up short in making the conference tournament. Baylor comes into the tournament as yet again another team on the outside looking in at hosting a regional.
- Kansas (29-26, 11-13 RPI 59 SOS 41) The Jayhawks entered last week as a long shot to make the NCAA and the sweep by Tech didn’t help. Kansas enters as a dangerous team with nothing to lose in OKC.
- Oklahoma State (26-25, 8-14 RPI 54 SOS 28) The Cowboys might be the the scariest team this week in OKC. Tyler Buffett had a solid outing in a weather-shortened outing in Bedlam and Lienhard went 7 innings in his best outing as a college player.
- Kansas State University (29-26, 8-16 RPI 92 SOS 52) The Wildcats season comes to a end, but they didn’t go down without a fight taking 2 of 3 from Baylor and just missing out on making the conference tournament.
RPI and SOS courtesy of boydsworld.com