The winds of change have come to the Big 12 after three weeks of conference play. The top 4 are fairly easy to rank after that it’s anyone’s guess
1 .TCU (23-5, 8-1 RPI 10 SOS 55) The Frogs had a down stretch in mid-March that had me wondering if they would be the best in conference. I no longer need to wonder — off to a 8-1 start in Big 12 play, and in the midst of a 9 game winning streak. TCU will step out of Big 12 play this week and host Murray St.
2. Oklahoma (26-6, 4-2 RPI 17 SOS 123) The Sooners had a soft non-conference schedule that left people wondering if the could put it together in the Big 12. OU now is now two series in with a good road win and a impressive home series win last week over Texas Tech. This week the Sooners head to Austin and play the biggest wildcard in the Big 12. Good news the Sooners have Austin O’Brien back and hopefully a couple of pitchers.
3. Texas Tech (26-6, 31 RPI 5) The Red Raider were riding a 10 game winning streak before coming to Norman. I don’t think we need to worry about Tech, as this team is as talented and deep as any in the Big 12. This week Texas Tech host a struggling Baylor team with hopes of keeping pace with TCU and Oklahoma.
4. West Virginia (17-10, 4-2 RPI 8 SOS 11) What else can you say about West Virginia: the team furthest north has had to go on the road for its first two series, and come away with two road wins. Last weeks series win really made folks take notice heading into Stillwater, and coming away with a 2-1 series win. This week the Mountaineers finally get a home series as the host the Jayhawks.
5. Kansas (13-15, 3-3 RPI This might be the oddest ranking all year, but you have to go with the hottest team. Kansas got a much needed series win last week over Texas, and a midweek win over Missouri St. This week they will make the long road trip to Morgantown.
6. Texas (20-12, 4-5 RPI 51 SOS 25) The Longhorns might be the biggest surprise in ’17. Texas is 7-2 over their last nine games, and will look to win a second series at home against Oklahoma.
7. Oklahoma St (17-11, 1-5 RPI 30 SOS 18) We have had the biggest surprise — now the biggest mystery, OSU. Oklahoma St started slow and picked up steam as Big 12 play approached, but have gone south ever since. Last week might be the biggest blow, falling at home to the Mountaineers. This week the pokes host a struggling KSU team.
8. Baylor (19-10, 2-4 RPI 18 SOS 15) The Bears had high hopes entering conference play with a 15-3 record, and now they have taken it in the chin dropping the last three weekend series. It doesn’t get easier this week hitting the road for Texas Tech.
9. Kansas St (15-13, 0-6 RPI 111 SOS 83) I am not sure what to say about the Wildcats in ’17. Brad Hill and KSU had one of the biggest wins this year at South Carolina. Kansas St has had a rough go in Big 12 play traveling to Texas and hosting TCU. This week they hit the road and travel to OSU.